What is Artificial Narrow Intelligence – Why Use Narrow AI and Types
Artificial Narrow Intelligence (ANI), also known as Weak AI, is programmed in such a way to perform a single task.
Weak AI examples may include checking the weather conditions, analysis of raw data, writing reports with a journalistic approach, and also playing chess to name a few.
Artificial narrow intelligence performs its task in real-time by pulling input from a set of specific data. As such, you will not find them performing outside the vistas of a single task that you program for them to carry out.
General AI vs Narrow AI
If we get into the depth, you might be able to identify more differences between General AI and Narrow AI. But the two most prominent differences between them are as follows-
- Narrow AI is also known as Weak AI, whereas, General AI is known as strong AI.
- While Narrow AI is programmed to perform a single task in real-time, General AI has the capacity to perform any task at par with human beings. In the latter, that is AGI, they have the ability to reason, find solutions to problems, judge, learn, plan, and integrate. They are innovative and creative. However, what makes them different from human beings is the presence of a conscious mind.
Benefits of using Narrow AI
- Artificial Narrow Intelligence (ANI) can process data and carry out tasks at a faster pace than human beings
- If you have used Siri, you know how it can help you in daily life.
- They can serve as building blocks for developing even more advanced AI technologies
- Overall, it has improved the quality of human life to a great extent.
Types of Artificial Intelligence
There are several types of AI that you will come across. The prominent ones are as follows-
- Limited Memory
- Reactive Machines
- Theory of Mind
- Artificial Narrow Intelligence (ANI)
- Artificial Super Intelligence (ASI)
- Artificial General Intelligence (AGI)